Market Positioning Survey
Consumers have choices. They act on perception.
Assess your competitive image at a store level or across an entire market.
Retailers are keenly aware that their stores do not operate in a vacuum. Consumers are influenced by their own experiences with a store, by what they hear and read about the store/brand, and by their experiences with competing retailers in the area. A Market Positioning Survey can be conducted in the primary trading area of a single location, or across a defined area in which a retailer has multiple locations.
The Market Positioning Survey is designed to understand questions such as:
- Where do consumers shop for items/services in the category (both primarily and secondarily)?
- How has their store usage and preference changed in the recent past, and why?
- Which retailer in the area does the best job of meeting their needs? (Across a variety of different dimensions relating to quality, variety, price/value, shopping experience)
- How can your store(s) better meet their needs? (Generally, and in the areas listed above)
When is a Market Positioning Survey most appropriate?
- On a periodic-tracking basis, to identify your strengths and opportunities relative to other retailers in the market
- When sales or customer counts are down, or when a store is missing projections, to understand any causes rooted in consumer perception
- When a new competitor enters the market (before and/or after), to plan tactical responses and understand baseline perceptions
- When developing plans to remodel or replace a store location, to receive input from current customers and shoppers in the trading area